When I told my husband we were having a vegetarian meal for dinner, he was definitely not excited. His face lit up when I started to talk about dinner…until he realized what we were having. I couldn’t help but laugh at his failed attempt to conceal his disappointment. But this is totally normal when “vegetarian” is thrown into the mix.
But on to more important things… did you notice the melted cheese? Soooo awesome with these grilled veggies you guys! Originally I used fontina because it’s a quick melting cheese, but then I tried it with gruyere… nailed it! These were surprisingly filling, so I’d hold off on adding much of anything to this meal. Just make sure to get really big portobellos and you should be fine.
And did I mention buying the largest portobellos you can find?! 😉
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped (It might seem like a lot, but it'll be great for the end product)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, gills and stem removed
- 1 15-oz can small white beans, rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 small red onion , cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 cup shredded gruyère or fontina cheese
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Put rinsed beans in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, dill, garlic, salt and pepper.
- One by one, add portobellos to lemon juice mixture, turning to coat; set mixture aside.
- Place portobellos (gill side down) and prepared vegetables on the preheated grill.
- Grill the portobellos for 4 minutes on each side, and the vegetables for 3 minutes on each side until they start to char and soften. Remove vegetables from grill and set aside.
- After 8 minutes of grilling the portobellos, top each cap with a ¼ cup of fontina and continue to grill until cheese is melted, about 1 minute more.
- Chop the vegetables and add to the bowl with the beans.
- Pour the remaining lemon juice mixture over the vegetable mixture and toss to combine.
- Serve each portobello topped with 1 cup of grilled veggie mixture.