My first attempt at this recipe was a MAJOR fail. While preparing to make energy bars, I was looking around at different sites for inspiration. I already knew that I wanted to use honey, and I noticed that a lot recipes that used honey suggested letting it simmer for around 8 minutes. Not so, people! Not so… I tried that little 8 minute trick, and guess what happened? The result was a dark bubbly mass that looked something like molasses. Our air purifier was going bananas and our apartment smelt like burnt honey for the rest of the day. Fantastic start to the day, but luckily attempt #2 went a lot better.
Take 2: Simmered honey for 4 minutes. Perfect! 4 minutes did the trick; not 8 minutes. It’s the perfect amount of time to draw some of the water out without burning it. Drawing some of the water out will result in a thicker honey after it’s cooled, and will better hold your bars together. These energy bars contain chia seeds and flaxseeds; both are packed with Omega 3 fatty acids. For those of you who don’t eat enough fish, these seeds are an easy way to get that all important source of brain power into your diet.
Update: Based on some emails and feedback from readers, this recipe has been updated to reduce sweetness. I continue to value your feedback and support, so don’t be shy about reaching out
- 1¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup raw almonds, slivered or roughly chopped
- ½ cup unsalted pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- 3½ tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- Prepare an 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking pan by lining with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except the honey and coconut oil.
- In a small sauce pan, bring honey and oil to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes; stirring frequently. Be careful not to let the honey/oil mixture burn.
- Immediately remove from heat, and pour the honey over the dry ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Press mixture firmly into prepared pan; It will seem a little crumbly, but will harden after it is set.
- Place the bars in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Cut the mixture into 12 even bars.