I couldn’t let this week pass by without showing a little bit of patriotism, now could I? The 4th of July will be here in just a few days, and hopefully Arthur doesn’t completely ruin it for us east coasters. Have you heard about Arthur? Arthur is that pesky tropical storm threatening to wash us out and dash our hopes of witnessing those beautiful firework displays. For the first time since we’ve lived in NYC, I was looking forward to an enjoyable 4th of July that wasn’t unbearable hot. And along comes Arthur…
Well at least I’ll have this Berry Breakfast Parfait to keep my spirits high. I love parfaits! And they’re such a quick, easy and healthy breakfast option to throw together in no time (after you’ve made the granola). And of course you can have it as a dessert too. After all, I did add little delicious bits of dark chocolate to the granola. What? It’s only a little…
Anyway, I’ve been wanting to make my own granola foreeeever. I love the stuff, but many of the prepackaged versions are less than desirable. Sometimes I’ll look at the ingredient list of some of these granolas and think, “Jeez, can I get some oats with that corn syrup?” But, even though granola is a healthier yummy treat, keep in mind that it is still calorie dense, which is why I prefer to have it earlier in the day. And this parfait goes a loooong way, loaded with fiber, protein and fruity goodness. So load up on the yogurt and berries and sprinkle a little granola in between…not the other way around like in this photo…it just looks prettier that way 😉
- Plain greek yogurt
- Fresh blueberries
- Fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1½ cups uncooked old fashioned oats
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup shredded coconut flakes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp. wheat germ (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 oz. dark chocolate, chopped in pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, almonds, coconut, salt, flaxseeds and wheat germ.
- If the coconut oil isn't already melted, warm in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time until no longer solid.
- Whisk together the melted oil, honey, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour over oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread granola over prepared baking sheet; bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time.
- Remove granola from oven and set aside to cool.
- When granola is cool, mix in chocolate.
- To assemble parfaits, layer as your heart desires.