Today I’m sharing with you THE recipe that made me think, “Hey…I can definitely do this healthy eating thing if the food is gonna taste like this.” When I first started experimenting with a healthier lifestyle, I’ve got to admit, I had noooo idea what I was doing. I’d try to get myself really excited about that super boring salad sitting in the fridge. Or begrudgingly reach for a rice cake when I wanted a low-calorie “nutritious” snack…I can’t believe I thought that was a nutritious snack. Obviously I was struggling with this healthy lifestyle thing. And it wasn’t too long before I started to doubt my ability to become healthier. I mean…was this all I had to look forward to? Dry rice cakes and rabbit food?
I think it was out of pure frustration that I subscribed to my first healthy eating mag. But I’m soooo glad I did; it was like each turn of the page unfolded a bit more of a totally new world I had no idea existed! I mean…who knew you could do so much with a chicken breast? Clearly not me…But that was my first step into what I now know is a fascinating world of healthier eating.
I’m still not much of a salad eater, but the key to maintaining a healthier lifestyle has been experimenting with flavor combinations, trying new foods, and finding what works for my tastebuds. Like this cod…marinated in a bunch of deliciousness. I think Cod is actually a great fish for novice cooks to experiment with because of its naturally high oil content….it’s kinda hard to dry out, which also means a succulent and buttery final product…Oh yeah…
- 4, 6-oz black cod fillets (aka sablefish)
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup toasted sesame seed oil
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp freshly chopped ginger
- Combine all ingredients (except for fish) in a medium-sized airtight mixing bowl. Add cod and marinate for 24 hours. If possible, flip half way through marinade time to allow even flavor distribution.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F; prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove cod from marinade and bake on the center rack for 7-9 minutes, until cod is opaque and flakes easily.